Re: [xsl] template matching

Subject: Re: [xsl] template matching
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:58:55 GMT

  Hello again,
  do i have to put a "<xsl:apply-templates select="note">" statement in sub1
  template match?

no if you do that you wont process the non-note stuff
foo foo <b>bar</b>
so it will just silently disappear.

  I tried doing this but it only showed the first of the group
  of notes in the output?

well apart from the usual quota of typos meaning my code wasn't well
formed XML, I missed off a mode="note" (You may suspect that I didn't
test the code)

here it is again

<sub1>
foo foo <b>bar</b>
<note>a</note>
<note>aa</note>
foo foo <b>bar</b>
<note>b</note>
<note>bb</note>
</sub1>

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="*">
<xsl:copy>
<xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<!-- throw most notes away (they will be handled elsewhere -->
<xsl:template match="note"/>

<!-- special case the first note in each contiguous group of notes, to
form a list and then process the nodes in note mode -->
<xsl:template match="note[not(preceding-sibling::*[1][self::note])]">
<ul>
<xsl:apply-templates mode="note" select="."/>
</ul>
</xsl:template>

<!-- make an item and process the next element node if it is a note-->
<xsl:template match="note" mode="note">
<li><xsl:apply-templates/></li>
<xsl:apply-templates select="following-sibling::*[1][self::note]" mode="note"/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

$ saxon sub1.xml sub1.xsl
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><sub1>
foo foo <b>bar</b>

foo foo <b>bar</b>

</sub1>

see everything copied except the groups of notes are munged up into ul
lists.

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew