[xsl] text() word lists

Subject: [xsl] text() word lists
From: James Cummings <James.Cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:35:26 +0000 (GMT)
Hi there,

I'm sure this is a faq, and I've checked the faq and archive.
I swear I remember someone asking about it, but I couldn't
find it, so here goes.

I want to take an XML file of unknown elements and create
a word frequency list / word list.  Now, an entry on sorting
in the xslt faq says this is just what xslt is bad at.  (And
I'm sure there are some that would say 'just go use perl',
but let's say I want to do it in xslt(1 or 2).

XSLT2 makes the tokenization of strings much easier, so
assuming I'm using that, if I have:

<foo>
</foo>

I don't know that foo|wibble|blort  will be the element names.

But I want to produce both:

a  -- 4
test  -- 4
only -- 2
is  -- 2
this  -- 2
big -- 1
great -- 1
really -- 1

Which (unless I've missed something) should be
a case-insensitive list grouped by frequency
sorted alphabetically within this, and ignoring
punctuation.

But also:

a  -- 4
big -- 1