RE: [xsl] better way to validate XML ...

Subject: RE: [xsl] better way to validate XML ...
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:33:58 -0000

> I am looking for validating XML against schema before
> processing through XSLT.
>
> Is it possible to validate using XSLT?? If not what other
> ways to validate ??

At present, you have to do this by running the schema validation and the
XSLT transformation as separate operations on the data. You should be
able to put this in a SAX pipeline to avoid parsing twice.

XSLT 2.0 provides for the concept of a "schema-aware XSLT processor"
which does what you are asking for (and a lot more). Watch this space
for an announcement of a schema-aware version of Saxon.

Michael Kay