RE: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span

Subject: RE: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span
From: "Andrew Welch" <AWelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:02:02 -0000
> It's an argument, but I think the overall effect will be
> negative and harmful to XSLT usage.
>
> In particlular people (now, who could I be thinking of
> here:-) will write and distribute stylesheets purporting to
> be XSLT1 that work when they test them but that will fail to
> compile and so fail to produce any result on any conformant
> XSLT 1 processor. That way lies confusion....

I think the only confusion would come from seeing version="1.0" at the
top of the stylesheet and then assuming that it contained only 1.0 code.
As we know, a stylesheet can quite happily specify version="1.0" and
contain 2.0 code.  So, by specifying version="1.0" I'm not in any way
guranteeing that my stylesheet will run on any conforming processor.
(This seems silly doesn't it?)

But then, as node-set() was an extension function, it would be rare that
a 1.0 stylesheet would work with *any* conforming processor, more like a
subset of conforming processors (exsl, xalan, msxml).

I think most of us have control of our target environments, so
portability comes last compared to functionality, performance and
maintainability.  Having to convert RTF's to a node-set is a pain, the
difference between the two is only theoretical, and the sooner they're
forgotten about the better :)