[xsl] Re: alternative for modes

Subject: [xsl] Re: alternative for modes
From: "Dimitre Novatchev" <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:09:02 +0100
"Peter Billen" <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:20040212111038.680BA37E65@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Indeed, that's what I wanted, something like 'function pointers' in C/C++
> programming.
>
> I might be looking into Dimitre's FXSL, but I can't use it in this
> situation, since it's a school exercise

What do you mean exactly here? I would not call "a school exercise" a tool
that gives much more power and makes possible and easy solutions to problems
that are considered difficult to implement without this tool. One such case,
where FXSL is especially appropriate is the problem described by you..

>  and I have to use standard XSLT
> specifications (no extensions allowed).

The only extension function used by FXSL (for XSLT 1.0) is exslt:node-set().

FXSL is portable across a multitude of XSLT processors as all they implement
EXSLT. On my computer I am running a multitude of single-version FXSL
applications with:

  MSXML4

  Saxon 6.5.3

  Xalan 2.4.1

  XalanC 1.5

  JD

  xsltLib

 4xslt

> So there is nothing else possible than some crap of if-conditions, to
> 'simulate' several modes in one template/function?

Everything is possible, even not to use the right tool that is there...

Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev
FXSL developer,