RE: [xsl] Sorting XML Elements alphabetically

Subject: RE: [xsl] Sorting XML Elements alphabetically
From: "Peter Loh Yoon Chao" <yoonchao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:52:27 +0800
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions.  Michael, the following variation of your
suggestion came close to giving me the desired result.

<xsl:template match="@* | node()">
 <xsl:copy>
 <xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node()">
   <xsl:sort select="name()"/>
 </xsl:apply-templates>
 </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

However, there are 2 problems:
1.)  It breaks when there are attributes in the source document, e.g.

<school>
  <teacher xml:lang="en">
    <subject>maths</subject>
    <name>tom hart</name>
  </teacher>
  <student>
    <age>12</age>
    <name>dick jones</name>
    <gender>male</gender>
  </student>
</school>

I get the following error message:
file:///C:/j2sdk1.4.2/practice/sort2_without_attr.xsl; Line #3; Column #32;
Cannot add attribute lang after child nodes or before an element is
produced.  Attribute will be ignored.

2.)  The formatting in the output is all out of whack, losing its original
identation and has extra blank lines, like the following:

<school>

<student>

Would really appreciate suggestions on how I could overcome the above
problems.  Many thanks.

Peter