RE: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span

Subject: RE: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:49:07 -0000
> > ...are you saying keep RTF's (and the corresponding
> explicit node-set
> > conversion) in 2.0 for performance reasons?
>
> node-set should be kept in XSLT for reasons which are much
> more serious than performance. I can see reasons why one can
> want to drop it; however, the experience with XSLT 1.0 shows
> that node-set is a dangerous area. Having it hidden behind
> the scenes just makes implementation bugs harder to discover
> and computational complexity issue (for which I will
> eventually be linched on this list) much more complicated.
>
> Would you live with the fact that an algorithm which was
> linear in XSLT 1.0 would be quadratic in XSLT 2.0?
>
> Do you see any advantage in turning simple and obvious
> operation at the level of XSLT ( (exsl|xt):node-set ) into
> something optimization-based?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the assumptions behind this line of
reasoning. To my mind, the RTF in 1.0 was a ghastly mess, with it's
rules that say "you can use it anywhere that a string can be used, it
then behaves like a document node converted to a string, but you can't
use it anywhere you can use a document node". Enforcing these
restrictions was a nightmare and led to really buggy and inefficient
code which I was very happy to throw away. Where exactly do you see the
merits of RTFs?

Michael Kay