Re: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span

Subject: Re: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:15:12 GMT
  I will :-). I don't think my reasoning will affect XSLT 2.0. But if there is
  a theoretical chance to get XSLT 1.5, which is smaller than XSLT 1.0 with
  extensions and cleaner than XSLT 1.0 without, then I would vote for it.

I think XSLT2 is actually rather good, or at least would have been good
if it wasn't tied to XPath2 which is still an unmitigated disaster as far
as I can see. I fear that the reliance of XSLT 2 on Xpath 2 will mean
that the majority of XSLT implementations will never switch (or not
switch in the forseeable future, which is the same thing) and as you
indicate will lead to divergent projects that try to cherry pick the
good bits out of the mess. While I am sure that many of these languages
will have excellent features, I fear that the notion of a standard
language will be gone. As I said on a recent thread (or was it this one)
I care more about interoperability than I do about efficiency (usually)
so I find this whole situation very worrying.

Still it doesn't seem to worry the person mentioned below, so it's
presumably not that important......

--
http://www.dcarlisle.demon.co.uk/matthew