Re: [xsl] Selecting and printing certain nodes

Subject: Re: [xsl] Selecting and printing certain nodes
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:26:58 -0500
Hi Glenn,

At 05:41 PM 2/19/2004, you wrote:
Here is the foreachOutput template:
  <xsl:template name="foreachOutput">
    <xsl:param name="cdata" />
    <xsl:param name="do-sect" />
    <xsl:for-each select="$do-sect">
        <xsl:choose>
            <xsl:when test="name() = 'replace'">
                <xsl:call-template name="replaceImage">
                    <xsl:with-param name="var" select="$cdata" />
                </xsl:call-template>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:when test="name() = 'variable'">
                <xsl:call-template name="insertVariable">
                    <xsl:with-param name="var" select="$cdata" />
                </xsl:call-template>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:otherwise>
                <xsl:element name="{name()}">
                    <xsl:copy-of select="@*" />
                    <xsl:call-template name="foreachOutput">
                        <xsl:with-param name="do-sect" select="./*" />
                        <xsl:with-param name="cdata" select="$cdata" />
                    </xsl:call-template>
                </xsl:element>
            </xsl:otherwise>
        </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

Well, as David just pointed out this template doesn't actually put any text nodes into the result, although it does construct an element whenever it gets into the xsl:otherwise.

If it's constructed properly (sorry I don't have time to test; I'm still not sure I understand fully in any case), however, it might be as simple as inserting an <xsl:value-of select="$cdata"/> after the <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/> instruction in the otherwise clause. (Did David just suggest this too?)

We have no "replace" or "variable" tags (which I do need to handle
differently than all the other tags), we are in the xsl:otherwise but I get
no text output only the tags and attributes of those tags. I need to output
all the text inside the tags (expect for the "variable" and "replace" tags.
Any clues?

The only text you can count on being available in the named template here is what you've passed in as $cdata, plus whatever you can grab by using XPath within your context (which inside the for-each select="$do-sect" will be whatever $do-sect is).

But I still don't see the necessity for template recursion here. Could you provide an example of the output you want to get from these two inputs?

<foreach param="devices">
</foreach>

<doc>
<item>dev1</item>