[xsl] Node selection list

Subject: [xsl] Node selection list
From: tsterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:58:40 -0700
Josh, maybe this will better clarify my problem

Here is the XSLT code I have now:
  <xsl:template match="ITEM">
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="string(ancestor::PARA0/TITLE)='Raging River '">
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:when test="not(string(ancestor::PARA0/TITLE)='Raging River ')">
        <xsl:value-of select="count(ITEM)"/>
      </xsl:when>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:template>

I know my test statement works because I get numbers for the items I want and
bullet points for the other items.  However, the numbered items all have zeroes
for their numbers.  I've also tried the number funtion, but I cannot set the
number attribute "count" or "from" with the condition
"not(string(ancestor::PARA0/TITLE)='Raging River ')" and must use a tag that
encompasses too much or too little.  I have other ITEMS earlier in the document
and the ones I want are broken into separate tags.  So I wind up with either a
continuous count starting at 14(there are 13 ITEMS prior to these) or a broken
count(one set of 1-3, another of 1-7 and so on).  Do you know of a
function/command I can use within this test to sequentially accumulate all of
the ITEMS that pass this test?  I cannot seem to get position, count, or number
to work for me.
Thanks,
Tracy.