RE: [xsl] Merging multiple XHTML documents into one

Subject: RE: [xsl] Merging multiple XHTML documents into one
From: "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_l.delmelle@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:09:51 +0100

<snip />
> When I run it at the command line with Java 1.4.2's XSL processor I get
> these lines:
>
> Using original entity definition for "&quot;".
> Using original entity definition for "&amp;".
> Using original entity definition for "&lt;".
> Using original entity definition for "&gt;".
> Using original entity definition for "&apos;".
>
> ...for the HTML file I'm processing plus the HTML files read in with the
>   document() call.

I wouldn't be bothered too much by this. IMHO this seems to be caused by
defining these entities twice (or something of the sort). If you really want
to do away with these, I think you'll need to go looking for the places
where the entities are defined, and remember that all of the above need not
be explicitly mentioned (standard XML entities). If you did somewhere, the
processor is probably just letting you know that it will use the implicit
XML entities instead of those that were explicitly defined. (Maybe the XHTML
DTDs redefine them anyway, I'm not sure, but if they do that seems
superfluous...)

> And, my script elements now have this xml:space attribute on them:
>
> <script type="text/javascript"
> src="http://reviews.cnet.com/html/js/rev/cms.js"; xml:space="preserve">
> </script>

? and you're sure this is specified nowhere in the source file(s) ?

Can you check for this? Frankly, I haven't got a clue why such would be
added during the transformation without being somehow implied in the source
or the processing template.

Maybe someone else here can shed some light on this?

> I don't need that in my HTML.  How would I suppress it?
> Is there a mode I can tell XSL to output XHTML ?

The only way to do so ATM (--meaning XSL 1.0) is like you did:

<xsl:output method="xml" .../>

since XHTML is basically XML.

Cheers,

Andreas