Re: [xsl] Omnimark vs. XSL (Saxon) Challenge

Subject: Re: [xsl] Omnimark vs. XSL (Saxon) Challenge
From: Michael Müller-Hillebrand <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:28:30 +0100
On 16.03.2004 (6:56 Uhr -0800), Mike Ferrando wrote:

>Michael M.,
>Looking at your example, I wonder if the CALS model (or some other
>model) might be according to the XML Exchange Table Model. (There is
>an article on the site for CALS interpolability.)
>
>http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/tm9901.htm
>
>Your example is not that clear to me but the documentation on the
>site might help you.

The stuff I was confronted with may lead to a more general HTML to CALS table conversion (and the link you supplied will be helpful in doing that). Currently it is just this single point: How do I get the column widths from the scattered width attributes of cells to be displayed in a top-level width attribute. colspan attributes are not very difficult to handle, it is the rowspan attributes that makes waves ;-)

This is my sample table:

+-----------+-----------+
|           |           |
|           +-----+-----+
|           |     |     |
+-----------+-----+     |
|                 |     |
+-----+-----+-----+     |
|     |     |     |     |

The second row contains two cells, but how do you tell, that those cells are parts of column 3 and 4?

My general idea was

* create a normalized empty table
* parse the input table and fill the appropriate cells
* so you can always check whether a given cell is already in use because of rowspan cells in previous rows.

Due to the recursive nature I have to move the normalized table through every recursion (this is the part I saw in Michael Kay's "Knight's Tour Stylesheet"), which seems to be very expensive in processing time.

I got a few ideas from the various posts which I will incorporate.

Thanks,

- Michael