RE: [xsl] Symbol handling in XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] Symbol handling in XSLT
From: <Jarno.Elovirta@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:06:05 +0200
Hi,

> Oner of our XSLT pages has been outputing a question mark
> where a bullet
> would have been expected.

Are you sure it really is a QUESTION MARK, or is it a bullet character and the program you use to view the document either uses the wrong encoding, e.g. UTF-8 vs. ISO-8859-1, or could it be that the font you use doesn't have a glyph for the bullet character and displays it as a question mark.

> I say a bullet would have been expected because we have another page
> which was showing the bullet snd not the question mark, and that page
> doesn't use XSLT for the transformation.
>
> As it is dificult to determine which characters might get
> input in the
> XML is there a way of handling symbols at least as accurately as the
> straight HTML page?

I don't understand the question. Does accuracy mean using entitiy references? If determing which characters you have in your input XML documents, you should probably get an editor/viewer that loads the document using the correct character encoding and also can display non-ASCII characters correctly.

Cheers,

Jarno - Delerium: Koran