RE: [xsl] XPath is NOT a functional language

Subject: RE: [xsl] XPath is NOT a functional language
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:38:09 +0100
Actually, much though I would like to see functions supported as first-class
objects within the type system, most of the definitions of the term
"functional language" do not require this concept, and are aligned with the
way the XPath spec uses the term.

See for example http://www.google.com/search?q=define:functional+language

With Phil Wadler on the working group, we could hardly get away with using
the term in a way that's out of line with accepted definitions.

Michael Kay