RE: [xsl] XPath is NOT a functional language

Subject: RE: [xsl] XPath is NOT a functional language
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:00:13 -0700
Yeah, I followed up the last reply with an "open mouth, insert foot"
statement.

As to Colin's last email I can totally see his point.  If the point of
making the statement in the first place was to tie together XPath with
the XSLT and XQuery drafts while still maintaining itself as an
independent technology then a statement needs to be made clarifying the
distinction.  As to what that statement is, I'm neither an author of the
draft nor even a distant cousin of one who is so I will stop making
suggestions.  But I can see the point that something needs to be said to
clarify the "functional" statement.  My guess is that it was put there
for a reason...  I'm just not sure at this point exactly what that
reason is...

Any thoughts?