RE: [xsl] xslt 2.0 challenge

Subject: RE: [xsl] xslt 2.0 challenge
From: "Andrew Welch" <AWelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:35:13 +0100
Ok here's my attempt.  This is as much about learning 2.0 as find a
solution, so all comments/criticisms welcome, including code formatting
suggestions (that's if the formatting makes it though the mailer).

<xsl:template match="/">

    <xsl:variable name="spanspec" select="/table/tgroup/spanspec"/>

    <!-- constucts a sequence of the two colspecs, note the 'as' -->
    <xsl:variable name="first" as="element()+">
      <xsl:sequence
select="/table//colspec[(preceding-sibling::colspan[@colname =
$spanspec/@namest]
                                           and

following-sibling::colspan[@colname = $spanspec/@nameend])
                                           or
                                           @colname = $spanspec/@namest
                                           or
                                           @colname =
$spanspec/@nameend]"/>
    </xsl:variable>

    <!-- sums the columns specified by the start and end column
         by the total number of columns, and then
         formats it to two decimal places
         and concats on a percentage symbol -->
    <xsl:value-of select="concat(
                            string(
                              format-number(
                                (sum(for $x in $first/@colwidth return
number(translate($x,'m','')))
                                div
                                sum(for $x in
$first/../colspec/@colwidth return number(translate($x,'m',''))))
                                * 100,
                              '00.00')
                            )
                            ,'%')"/>

</xsl:template>

One point of interest here is the the $first variable must be declared
as 'element()+' so that we can access it's siblings later on (thanks to
Roger L. Costello post on the Saxon list for that).

This should be faster and less memory hungry than building three
temporary trees, I will get around to testing it out soon.

cheers
andrew