[xsl] manipulating a property value

Subject: [xsl] manipulating a property value
From: David Buddrige <dbuddrige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:48:06 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I have the following input document:

<info>
	<mytag duration="3 days" />
	<mytag duration="4 days" />
	<mytag duration="6 hours" />
	<mytag duration="33 hours" />
	<mytag duration="13 hours" />
	<mytag duration="5 days" />
	<mytag duration="3 hours" />
	<mytag duration="23 hours" />
</info>

What I want to do, is to convert the output document
so that all duration values are in hours, and without
specifying the units.  So where a duration = "3 days",
I want to convert it to hours by multiplying it by 8,
and dropping the units identifier.

Thus

	<mytag duration="5 days" />

becomes

	<mytag duration="40"/>

And also

	<mytag duration="6 hours"/>

becomes

	<mytag duration="6"/>

The xslt template I have written to [attempt] to do
this is as follows:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
	<xsl:template match="/">
		<myoutput>
			<xsl:apply-templates/>
		</myoutput>
	</xsl:template>
	<xsl:template match="mytag">
		<xsl:choose>
			<xsl:when test="@duration='*days'"><!-- need to
somehow strip off the 'days' and multiply remaining
value by 8 --></xsl:when>
			<xsl:otherwise><!-- need to somehow strip off the
'hours' and return the remaining substring
--></xsl:otherwise>
		</xsl:choose>
	</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

I note that XSLT 2.0 has regular expressions available
that would make this alot easier - is there any way to
do this with XSLT 1.x?

thanks heaps

David Buddrige