[xsl] Preceding-Sibling Axes in Context node.

Subject: [xsl] Preceding-Sibling Axes in Context node.
From: "Patel, Viral" <viral.patel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:35:38 -0500
Hi,

I have a question about preceding-sibling.  I have following XML

<root>

<record id="1" city="Carbondale" state="IL"/>
<record id="2" city="Columbia" state="MO"/>
<record id="3" city="Bloomington" state="IL"/>
<record id="4" city="St. Louis" state="MO"/>
<record id="5" city="Chicago" state="IL"/>

</root>

And I have following XSL:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";>
<xsl:template match="/">
		<xsl:apply-templates match="//root/record">
			<xsl:sort select="@state"/>
			<xsl:sort select="@city"/>
		</xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="record">
	<xsl:if test="not ( (preceding-sibling::*/@state) = @state )">
		<!-- Some logic that will print out the create a new table
row (tr) and print out the state name....-->
	</xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

What I want is an output where it would to create one table row per state
and list all of its city in the same row but a different <td>.  In my root
template I am sorting the document by state when I do apply templates.  In
the "record" template, I do when I do "preceding-sibling::*/@state" it would
bring me back the state attribute of the preceding sibling in the acutal xml
document and not in the current context.

So for example if I just did apply-templates sorted by state and city, xsl
should process my nodes in the order below and I have also printed out the
"preceding-sibling" value that my xsl is giving me for each node and the
"preceding-sibling" value that I would expect.:

IL, Bloomington
	-XSL's preceding-sibling: MO, Columbia
	-Preceding-Sibling value that I would like: none
IL, Carbondale
	-XSL's preceding-sibling: none
	-Preceding-Sibling value that I would like: IL, Bloomington
IL, Chicago
	-XSL's preceding-sibling: MO, St. Louis
	-Preceding-Sibling value that I would like: IL, Carbondale
MO, Columbia
	-XSL's preceding-sibling: IL, Carbondale
	-Preceding-Sibling value that I would like: IL, Chicago
MO, St. Louis
	-XSL's preceding-sibling: IL, Bloomington
	-Preceding-Sibling value that I would like: MO, Columbia

What would I need to do to achieve the preceding-sibling value that I want?
Is it even possible?  I already tried using <xsl:key> but that didnt work
either.  If you want me to explain my question then let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
V Patel.