RE: [xsl] alphabetic counters

Subject: RE: [xsl] alphabetic counters
From: "Andreas L. Delmelle" <a_l.delmelle@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 20:52:32 +0200

Hi Nick,

> ... I still have some CDATA and escaping going on. This occurs when
> creating table rows:

This is a somewhat twisted way of creating a table. You will definitely need
to take a look at the various grouping strategies: you group the source XML
nodes into rows (by using keys), then apply-templates to or for-each over
these groups of nodes...

In order to give you a more concrete example, we'd really need to see more
of the source XML structure (problem: see below).

> But outputting nodes within an xml:if and closing them within another
> causes parse errors in Libxslt and Sablotron.

Yup, that's bad practice anyway. Try to make the code output a different
node *in* a different context, rather than having it start or end one
*depending on* the context. This will most likely also be the reason why
Saxon and Xalan choke on your XSL...

> <xsl:number> doesn't work for me. I tried putting it in a variable and
> outputting the variable as a test and nothing was produced.

It can still be used, IMHO, but it would need a thorough restructuring of
the code... maybe if it were used in the context of a matching template for
citation nodes, it should be possible to use xsl:number in the stated
fashion.

Right now, it seems you are only using one template to control the entire
transformation. Unfortunately, the XSL and the HTML are the only files I can
view from the links below (dtd is in the wrong location, or is referenced
improperly from the xml?):

> If you want to take a look at everything, these are the URLs:
> http://astro.nickshanks.com/library/extrasolar.en.html > HTML after
> processing
> http://astro.nickshanks.com/library/extrasolar.xml
> http://astro.nickshanks.com/stylesheets/extrasolar.xsl