[xsl] error using number()

Subject: [xsl] error using number()
From: Mike Ferrando <mikeferrando@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:00:17 -0700 (PDT)
Friends,
I am getting this error.

When I run my stylesheet with SAXON instant 6.5.3, everything runs
fine without errors. But my friend ran the same stylesheet with his
SAXON 7 and received this error (below).

Is there some reason why the error only comes up with the SAXON 7?

Mike Ferrando
Washington, DC

Error returned:

bash-2.05b$  java -jar c:/saxon79/saxon7.jar -o ead.html
fa_2002_8859_1_x.xml c:/my_ead_2002_conv/ead_2002_HTML_conv-1.xsl
Error at variable st_p-sb on line 2280 of
file:/c:/my_ead_2002_conv/ead_2002_HTML_conv-1.xsl:
  Unsuitable operands for arithmetic operation (xs:string,
xs:integer)
Transformation failed: Run-time errors were reported

XSL

	<xsl:variable name="st_p-sb" select="number(substring($physdesc_b,
string-length($physdesc_b) -9, 4) - 1000)"/>