Re: [xsl] killing xslt

Subject: Re: [xsl] killing xslt
From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 20:41:57 +0200
Pieter Reint Siegers Kort wrote:

> Joe Fawcett wrote:
> "You may find it easier to convert to J#, the tools for doing that seem
more
> reliable. That's how the MS team moved Quake to .NET. If that's possible
you
> can then go to MSIL and then back into C# :)"
>
> I've had no experience (yet) by doing so, but we'll take it into serious
> consideration. Thanx for your comment.

J# is simply compiler from Java to MSIL code. Only problem is, that J#
supports only JDK 1.1.4 which doesn't include JAXP, java.nio and other
classes used by Saxon 7. These libraries must be partially rewritten to
use .NET libraries as underlying implementation.

This is quite big amount of work, but it is "just" question of time
which must be devoted to it.

The problem might be performance, because other similar Java application
(no GUI) is 40 % slower after conversion to .NET:

http://xep.xattic.com/lists/xep-support/2045.html

   Jirka Kosek     e-mail: jirka@xxxxxxxx     http://www.kosek.cz
   Profesionalnm 9kolenm a poradenstvm v oblasti technologim XML.
         DocBook 18.-19.5.                 XSLT 24.-26.5.
         XML pro v}vojaxe 7.-8.6.          XSL-FO 16.6.

[****** removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]