RE: [xsl] saxon command line error "2>error.txt"

Subject: RE: [xsl] saxon command line error "2>error.txt"
From: Mike Ferrando <mikeferrando@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:06:27 -0700 (PDT)
M.D.,
It is possible that my request is really not practical from a users
perspective. How many people are still using Windows 95 (updated)?

However, the fact is that between Windows 95 and Windows NT (still
shaky especially in un-native environments), does Microsoft really
offer stable OS choices? (yeah, but I can't controll what OS my
office choses to run.)

So, my concern with Windows 95 OS users.

Context: I have been working on a conversion package for transforming
EAD SGML into EAD 2002 XML.
The page is not quite ready for release but you can look at it.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/music/eadmusic/eadconv12/ead2002_r.htm

I first used many tools for creating documents and processing them
with XSL in 2001. The Rare Book School class, instructed by Daniel
Pitti (guru of EAD creation), used Windows 95 OS. Personally, I
waited until Windows 2000 and XP came out before I bought another PC.

Issue: I would like all the conversion to occur in a simple and
similiar manner. This means that errors should all appear in the same
place in the same way. James Clark's SP is used to convert the SGML
into XML. Then SAXON (instant) uses XSL stylesheets to do the rest.
The user (often not very PC savy) is directed to open the error.txt
after each batch file is run (5 batch files to process each
document).

As someone who has experienced alot of client side open source setup
configuration conflicts, I wanted to erradicate alot of the initial
setup and run irregularities that face the average user.

Hence, the need to find a workaround for standard error outputing.

A DOS window, is ok, but what is really needed is a static form of
the error output for client side users. The learning curve is a
reality for most of these people who are not experienced with open
source PC operations.

On my side of the argument, I owe alot to the patience and
publications (web and hardcopy) of the open source groups. Trying to
supply the user and developer with such tools is an ominous task.
(Can't blame you guys for getting a bit snippity sometimes. Uh, did I
just read another post about &amp;nbsp;?)

>From the client side user context, creating an option in SAXON seems
best and least complex scenerio.

Mike F.
Washington, DC