RE: [xsl] XSLT-Numerical character entity output

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT-Numerical character entity output
From: Stuart Brown <sbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 13:44:28 +0200
Hi Steve

> I am trying to generate an xhtml+mathml document in which the more
> esoteric maths characters are represented in the output by their decimal
> numeric entities rather than the character.

All you need to do is specify the output encoding:

<xsl:output encoding="iso-8859-1">

The serialized output will be in that encoding, and any characters which
fall outside of it will be represented with a numerical character reference.
You have no control over whether it is decimal or hex, but I'm pretty sure
Saxon uses the decimals.

Bear in mind that XSLT processors are only *required* to support utf-8 and
utf-16 in output, however most support others.

Hope that helps,

Stuart