Re: [xsl] Elements just before/after the current one

Subject: Re: [xsl] Elements just before/after the current one
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:53:51 -0400
At 2004-05-27 14:40 -0400, Nicolas Pillot wrote:
  I have a problem, as you can guess. I am struggling to find the element
  that is just before, and the element just after the current one.

  What i am doing now for the element after the current one is :
     following-sibling::*[position() = 1]
  And this seems to work.

Yes, and for the immediately-preceding element it would be:

preceding-sibling::*[1]

Remember that axes are proximity-ordered at the step level, such that counting begins with the closest node and increases as you walk away from the node.

Note that complete paths are always accessed by XSLT in document order, so when you have more than one preceding sibling element you will have a difference between:

preceding-sibling::*[1]

and

(preceding-sibling::*)[1]

returning, respectively, the closest and furthest preceding sibling element.

I hope this helps.

--
Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc