Re: [xsl] Performance Question: Expensive Functions in Predicates

Subject: Re: [xsl] Performance Question: Expensive Functions in Predicates
From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 10:06:18 -0500
M. David Peterson wrote:

Hi Eliot,

Im interested to know more of how you came to these conclusions while also ignoring the use of xpath within apply-templates/@select to do the bulk of your node selection?

I think you may have misread my conclusion: I said that the select-based approach is the most attractive *from a code maintenance and simplicity standpoint* because it both avoids the need for a separate catch-all template required by the match-based approach and avoids the separate if statement required by the unqualified select and match approach.

Your performance measurements then demonstrate that the select-based approach is *also* the highest performing, which I guess I should have been able to predict for the reasons you stated (it results in the fewest overall node tests being performed).

Therefore I think we are in agreement that putting the qualification in the apply-templates processing is the overall best solution in general and that using IF within templates is clearly the worst. It also seems likely that differences in XSTL implementation optimization strategies will not significantly change the results.

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber