RE: [xsl] encoding shift_jis into an attribute

Subject: RE: [xsl] encoding shift_jis into an attribute
From: "Matthew Simoneau" <Matthew.Simoneau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:08:43 -0400
Thanks Josh and David for your replies.  I understand a little more
about what's going on.

In the original XML-file, these characters are shift_jis encoded
Unicode.  XSLT is helping me convert this file to HTML.  As text on the
page, XSLT wants them to display properly and escapes them using their
numeric character references, "&#25968;&#23398;".  In the context of the
href attribute, it wants them to be part of a valid URI and is URI
encoding them as "%E6%95%B0%E5%AD%A6".

What I want is to work around this feature and get the numeric character
reference representation within an href attribute.  This may be a bad
idea for a general web page or general URI, but makes sense in my
application.  If I change href to anything else, it leaves the numeric
character references, but then of course my links don't work.  I found
references on the web that this is a feature of Saxon that can be turned
off, but I can't figure out how.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to attack this?