Re: [xsl] Text markup for web forums, eg. [b]bold text[/b]

Subject: Re: [xsl] Text markup for web forums, eg. [b]bold text[/b]
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:07:20 -0600
Sorry for the late reply to this message but it somehow got missed.  It only
got caught because I was trying to find another post from Wendell and saw
this when scanning his posts.

Wendell is right on target with all of this.  When I originally posted the
solution for converting the UBB markup I used a code base that I was
developing to act in a sort of search-and-replace type application and had
no intention of it being any sort of tree-style parser.  As such things like
recursion were not even considered.  Although I believe that this solution
could be modified to process the modified markup recursively that's only
because I love the challenge of making something work in a language it wasn't
designed to work in and not because it's the right solution for the problem.
The final code-base of such an effort would probably look a lot like a bowl
of alphabet soup.  Sure, all the individual letters can be used to form
words but that doesn't mean that they do, or if they do, not in a way that
makes sense to anybody other than the person who put them there.  The
purpose of this list is to help others with there understanding of the
XSL-based languages.  Such a solution would probably create more confusion
and set people back rather than forward in there understanding of the
language.  As such this is definitely not the right place to be posting such
code.

Daniel,  if I am able to find the time to try to implement such a solution I
will contact you directly rather than risk confusing the general XSL public
with a bunch of psycho-babble nonsense that is likely to be the resulting
code-base.

Best regards,

<M:D/>