Re: [xsl] eacutes driving me nuts

Subject: Re: [xsl] eacutes driving me nuts
From: Niclas Hedhman <niclas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:50:54 +0800
On Thursday 10 June 2004 11:57, Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
> do I need to do something in the XML phase
> (i.e. the input) or the XSL phase (i.e. the transform)? Or both? So
> far, I've tried only the former and needed migraine medication from the
> head-thumping.

The proper tack would be to ensure that the ASCII -> XML is done in an
encoding-aware manner.
I.e, When you read the ASCII, you need to know its encoding, probably
ISO8859-1.
You don't need (and possibly is better without) the &eacute; entity
declaration.
So it is a matter of 'how' things becomes XML. If you are converting with
Java, you would be reading the ASCII something like;

FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream( file );
InputStreamReader in = new InputStreamReader( fis, "ISO8859-1" );
BufferedReader reader = new BufferedReader( in );
String line;
while( ( line = reader.readLine() ) != null )
{
    :
}

If you are using less sophisticated methods, you 'might' get away with setting
the encoding for the XML document correctly ( the <?xml version="1.0"
encoding="ISO8859-1"?> ), but it would still not produce the character
sequence "&eacute;", but the character directly.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /