Re: [xsl] Template priority query

Subject: Re: [xsl] Template priority query
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 07:11:56 -0400
At 2004-06-10 06:53 -0400, Chris Loschen wrote:
Quick sanity check -- I've got two templates like this:

<xsl:template match="a | b | c">...</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="*[@length]">...</xsl:template>

My assumption has been that the first of these is more specific
and so would have a higher priority than the second, but my output
suggests that the second is firing instead of the first. Is my assumption
faulty,

Yes. Priorities are applied *severally*, as if you had three separate template rules for your first template rule, each with only a simple name and a priority of zero. Your second rule is more complex than a simple name, therefore it has higher priority of .5.

Note that there are no higher implied priorities ... all patterns more complex than a simple name have an implied priority of .5.

I hope this helps.

-- Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc