Re: [xsl] stylesheet licensing?

Subject: Re: [xsl] stylesheet licensing?
From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:47:31 -0500
Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
Basically, I want them to be widely usable (even in commercial products), though only if any changes to the stylesheets per se were required to be open sourced.

Since the LGPL allows the use-by-call of code (as opposed to the use-by-inclusion) I would think that the LGPL would be the appropriate license for style sheets you want to allow to be used by non-open-source code. That is, I think that for the purpose of the LGPL a stylesheet can be considered a "library" in the same sense that a Java JAR file or Windows DLL is--it's executable code that you can blindly call without the need to first compile and link it into your own code.

As I understand it, the LGPL still restricts the ability to use the source code of the style sheets in derived works that are not themselves open source.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber