Re: [xsl] blank-or-not-blank attribute

Subject: Re: [xsl] blank-or-not-blank attribute
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:53:59 -0500
tsterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
<fo:page-sequence-master master-name="image">
     <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="blankPage"
        blank-or-not-blank="blank"/>
     <fo:conditional-page-master-reference master-reference="theImage"/>
</fo:page-sequence-master>

Essentially, what I'm trying to achieve here is an empty page and then the
contents of "theImage" on the following page.  I've also tried making a
fo:page-sequence-master all its own for the blank page with its fo:flow
containing no content, but that didn't seem to work either.  At this point my
output is the content of theImage page with no blank neighboring pages.  In
addition, I've confirmed the support of this feature since I'm using the
RenderX fo processor and its literature indicates this attribute is supported.

You've defined a page sequence master that will *accomodate* a blank page, not one that will force one.

That is, conditional-page-master-reference is used to associate page masters with particular types of pages: blank or not blank, odd or even, first or not first, last or not last.

To force a blank page, simply use an empty fo:block with a break-after="page" property--this will generate a blank page. You can then use the page master as you've defined it to define the characteristics of that blank page. E.g.:

<fo:block break-after="page">
 <fo:leader leader-pattern="space" leader-length="0pt"/>
</fo:block>

[This use of fo:leader is the most reliable way to ensure the block is actually processed as some processors will ignore blocks with no non-blank content. If you need an empty block that takes no vertical space, set the line-height to "0pt" for the block.]

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber