Re: [xsl] getting node type in xsl

Subject: Re: [xsl] getting node type in xsl
From: Jan Limpens <jan.limpens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:54:49 -0300
unfortunately using asp.net I am bound to xslt version 1.0, as they
will not implement version 2 even in the next version of their
framework.
or is there another .net xslt processor around, where I can leverage version2.0?

> > 2) how can I give a node a unique id, that I can somehow reuse to
> > programmatically alter it's value (some serialization of the absolute
> > xPath using something else than the "/" and "[ ]" characters, like
> > "ID#animal-1#chicken-3#egg-5" for /animal[1]/chicken[3]/egg[5])?
> > generate-id() doesn't do this...

> XSLT doesn't allow you to alter the value of a node... There's an extension
> function to get a path to a node in Saxon, and there are "pure XSLT"
> solutions in the FAQ (somewhere!).

I don't want to alter the node via xslt. I want to generate an
interface to do so via xslt and then use .net's XmlWriter to do the
actual alteration. therefore i need to generate an id, that helps me
to find the node in question.

cheers
jan