Re: [xsl] Word 2003 schema and XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Word 2003 schema and XSL
From: Emmanouil Batsis <Emmanouil.Batsis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:29:26 +0300
0 8 wrote:

We have some very light XML creation needs and we're considering Word
2003 to allow authors and copyeditors to work in a familiar
environment while also making sure we can quickly get a document into
XML as we need it. We'd actually be using this over something like
XMetaL.

I'd actually suggest Open Office over something like Word 2003 since it saves XML, is customizable, open source and free... unless it doesn't have a feature you need?

The documents will be simple: paragraphs, headings, bold/italic,
lists, simple tables, an image or two. The approach will be simple as
well (I hope): WordML -> XSL -> Our XML -> repository.

The OO XML File Filter Tool "makes it easy to integrate new import or export file filters that are based on XSL transformations". You can write your own filter to automate the proccess of saving directly to your XML.

Are there any serious "gotchas" lurking with Word 2003 and WordML?

M$ world domination ;-)

I've heard it doesn't live up to the claim of letting the user define
and edit against their own schema very well, but that's not a problem
for us right now.

True, the basic version does not have this. I believe the filter feature of OO will allow you to save to any vocabulary you want if you provide the mapping between OO and your schema as a stylesheet...

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/1.1/

hth,

Manos