[xsl] apply-template doesn't hit template

Subject: [xsl] apply-template doesn't hit template
From: Frans Englich <frans.englich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:58:39 +0000
Hello all,

I have an embarrassing simple apply-templates/template problem. Here's my
source document:

<kcm kcfg="true" [...]>

<kcm kcfg="false" [...]>

<kcm kcfg="false" [...]>

There's 21 kcm elements, all of them have "kcfg='true'".

<xsl:template select="kcm">
	<xsl:message>template hits</xsl:message>
	<!-- This message is never seen -->

<xsl:template match="/">
	<xsl:apply-templates select="//kcm[@kcfg='true']"/>
		<xsl:value-of select="count(//kcm[@kcfg='true'])"/>
		<!-- This reports 0, which is correct -->

	<xsl:apply-templates select="//kcm[@kcfg='false']"/>
		<xsl:value-of select="count(//kcm[@kcfg='false'])"/>
		<!-- This reports 21, which is correct -->

What I want to achieve is to in one place select entries(the root template),
and then with the first template format them for representation -- but it
doesn't hit. Instead, the selected items(the 21 kcm) is printed right out in
the output(their content, no elements).

I have two questions:

1. Why doesn't the template hit?

2. Why are the content simply sent to the output? Is it because I selected
them, but no template matched?

The above XSL is that simple, I've commented out everything else for testing

Thanks in advance,