Re: [xsl] Namespace problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] Namespace problem
From: Marc Schneider <mschneider@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:36:22 -0400
Dave -

Since WSDL files have QName in attributes, the namespace prefix in the attribute can be any in-scope namespace. This deviation from the XPath data model makes it very difficult to process WSDL files.

At 04:27 PM 9/13/2004, you wrote:
> Hello -
> I may have spoken too soon when I said that using current() did the
> This apparently works in XalanJ, but XalanC v1.7 appears to have a
> with namespace::* and doesn't evaluate namespace::*[starts-with(name(),
> substring-before(current()/parent::node()/@name,':'))] correctly.
> Unfortunately, I need to support XalanC v1.7, does anyone know of a way
> resolve a namespace URI from the prefix in XalanC 1.7?

This is a case where Xalan-C deviates from the XPath data model, and does
not have a namespace node for every in-scope namespace on every element.
The following stylesheet produces the desired result:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<xsl:output encoding="utf-8" />

<xsl:template match="wsdl:operation">
  <xsl:element name="operation">
      <xsl:when test="contains(parent::node()/@name,':')">
          <xsl:variable name="ns"
select="substring-before(parent::node()/@name, ':')" />
        <xsl:attribute name="portType_nspc">
            <xsl:when test="contains(parent::node()/@name,':')">
              <xsl:value-of select="namespace::*[name() = $ns]"/>
        <xsl:attribute name="portType_nspc"/>

I've been tempted numerous times to fix this deviation, but the cases
where this has caused a problem have been extremely rare, and the cost in
memory overhead is considerable in many cases.