RE: [xsl] Namespace problem

Subject: RE: [xsl] Namespace problem
From: david_n_bertoni@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:41:30 -0700
> My reading of Dave's response was that in Xalan-C the namespace axis
does
> return all in-scope namespaces, but that you cannot reliably obtain the
> parent element of a namespace node. So rather than accessing the parent
of
> the namespace node using the parent axis, you need to save it (the
parent
> element) in a variable. Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct.  You get all of the in-scope namespace nodes, but
they are not necessarily parented as you would expect.

It's really a DOM-style implementation, and the namespace axis just goes
up the tree and gathers up the nodes.  So, this breaks when you really on
generate-id() as a hack to implement node identity, and also in the case,
where you use the parent axis.  In the first case, there's no work-around,
while in the second case, there is.

Dave