RE: [xsl] Where are xsl:messages sent in JAXP?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Where are xsl:messages sent in JAXP?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:04:05 +0100
> I would like to use the xsl:message feature to send
> progress information back to a Swing UI while my XSL
> is performing a transformation.  I was wondering if I
> could hook my client code into the XSL Transform
> object to receive messages sent from the XSL using
> xsl:message?
>
> I think I know the answer to this one, but is there a
> way to hook the Transform API so I can ask for user's
> input while transforming their document?

JAXP 1.2 doesn't define what happens to xsl:message. I believe Xalan sends
it to the warning() method of the ErrorListener (I'm not sure in what
format). Saxon allows you to specify a MessageEmitter using a non-JAXP
interface.

I think that JAXP 1.3 endorses the Xalan mechanism.

Remember that the order in which messages are written is
implementation-defined.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/