Re: [xsl] "FLAT" XML to Hierarchical XML

Subject: Re: [xsl] "FLAT" XML to Hierarchical XML
From: Brandon Schenz <brandons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:50:09 -0400
well, to be honest I am a newbie here (Like you couldn't tell that), and I'm using VB.NET (please don't make too much fun of me). I'm honestly not sure what a .NET DataSet would do with that, and regardless when I dump these in my database I need to associate a CustomerID to an Order and an OrderID to each LineItem. Your format will work fine for me as long as I'm able to add a unique orderID (I suppose that that is given to me in the original XML file though), and a unique customerID.

*Brandon Schenz*
Midwest Sports Supply
Phone: 513-956-4900
Fax: 513-956-4910
E-mail: brandons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cknell@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I don't see the hierarchy in the output you say you want. All the customers are in one element, all the orders are in a sibling element, and all the order details go into a third sibling. Is this really the format you want? When you said you wanted to make the format hierarchical, I imagined that you wanted to group all the items by order and all the orders by customer, something like this:

<customer>
 <orders>
   <order>
     <line-item></line-item>