Re: [xsl] xslt 2.0 and alternatives?

Subject: Re: [xsl] xslt 2.0 and alternatives?
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 08:52:51 -0700
Absolutely! Dr. Kay's suggestion is the best for your particular situation.

> I'm not interested in anything MS-specific myself.  The whole point of
> what I'm doing is to provide alternatives to MS-centric workflows (the
> academy is totally dominated by MS, and I'm tired of it).  So document
> formats I'm interested in are DocBook, TEI, OpenOffice.

And I don't in any way blame you. In fact, I myself (even with my MS dominant background) have been looking to alternatives to the MS dominant workplace and have *REALLY* (if not apparent, let me emphasize REALLY!!!) taken a liking to the offerings from Novell, Gnome, and the Mono project... The interface is clean (kudo's to the Gnome team for creating such a fantastically clean, simple, and beautiful GUI!!!), the .NET CLR implementation solid (kudo's to Miguel de Icaza and his passion for bringing the .NET CLR and the C# language to the Open-Source Linux community), and the overall effort by the Linux Open-Source community is overwhelming and has subsequently drawn me in to using there developed platform about 50-60% of the time I spend in front of my computer (which is between 14-16 hours, at least, a day.) And that doesn't even touch the whole OpenOffice project which most definitely deserves an entire email of praise devoted to everything that they have brought to the XML table and then some.

With all of this said (and your recommendation that people pick this up for use with Word/WordML) I would recommend that people seriously consider the fact that Saxon, Saxon.NET, OpenOffice.org and a complete array of XML technologies that would take pages to showcase are 100% completely supported by the Linux platform and in the case of Saxon.NET and C# (as well as a beta version of VB.NET) are supported via the Mono mechanism that you can learn more about at http://www.go-mono.com.

I hope that anyone with an open mind to alternatives will take a look at what an *AMAZING* group of very committed developers have brought, FOR FREE!!!!, to the software development community and how these elements are 100% compliant with the standards that we, as an XML community, have asked for.

Best regards,

<M:D/>

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
Thanks David!