RE: [xsl] RE: xsl history

Subject: RE: [xsl] RE: xsl history
From: "Pawson, David" <David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:29:38 +0100
      > We think this was the first submission to W3C,
      > http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-XSL.html

      > or that's what the editor told me.

    The first thing I noticed is that the authors were mostly
    from Microsoft. Did Microsoft's enthusiasm for XSL change?
    Maybe I have that wrong.

Not as I have it. They were keen, and maybe have regretted
it ever since. A count of the number of replies on this
list referring to the 1998 release from MS will confirm that.

    From the document's "1.5. Design Principles" section:
     4. XSL should provide an "escape" into a scripting language
        to accommodate more sophisticated formatting tasks and
        to allow for extensibility and completeness.

I'm guessing here, but I'd say that they forsaw the inability
of XSL to cope with some things, and hence had the idea
of doing as html did, having a scripting language to prop it up.

They didn't appreciate just how good they were :-)
  Though I can escape from saxon or xt into java.

regards DaveP

--
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.