RE: [xsl] Windows URLs

Subject: RE: [xsl] Windows URLs
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 17:47:33 -0000
> >     Michael> This doesn't actually address the UNC question, but I'm
> >     Michael> pretty sure that conclusion when we last
> discussed it on
> >     Michael> the list was that the correct form (i.e. the one most
> >     Michael> likely to work) was file:////server/file/name
> - yes, four
> >     Michael> slashes.
> >
> > Now that surprises me. I was expecting an answer like David Carlisle
> > gave:
> >
> > file://server/file/name
>
> Interesting. Note that UNC's use share names to access file
> systems on servers. But I would agree
> that if one would point to c:\foo\bar on machine x, using
> file://x/c:/foo/bar (or should : be | in
> this case?), than pointing to \\x\shareC\foo\bar would be
> file://x/shareC/foo/bar.. I think...

I suspect the reason for the distinction is that in file://server/file/name,
server must be a DNS name, while in \\x\shareC\foo\bar, x is a Windows
machine name. They're not necessarily the same thing. So
file:////x/shareC/foo/bar means look for the file that on my local file
system is called //x/shareC/foo/bar.

Michael Kay