Re: [xsl] Need a programmic way to read xslt file, and determine the mappings defined.

Subject: Re: [xsl] Need a programmic way to read xslt file, and determine the mappings defined.
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:42:04 GMT
> I can
> control how to create the xslt files to make it easier to re-interpret
> them.

Yes, but this shows why you are unlikely to find much help from any
off-the-shelf tool. In any particular case, if you know a lot about the
structure of the input, result, and stylesheet, you can probably fairly
easily derive the mapping with some xslt for example, but the general
case is impossible (as a typical transform is not reversable) and even
covering a range of cases is likely to be hard.

What we do in a similar situation is annotate all literal result
elements in the stylesheet with an attribute that shows exactly which
template they came from
so
<foo xsl="some-stylesheet.xsl template number 6">

in house we fudge the result dtd so these xsl attributes are valid, and it
means if you want to understand why some bit of the result looks like it
did you know where to look.

For external use we just do a second pass that removes all these
xsl=... attributes.

David

http://www.star.net.uk