Re: [xsl] xsl and toc.hhc (was xml -> htmlhelp and character 8220)

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl and toc.hhc (was xml -> htmlhelp and character 8220)
From: Allin Cottrell <cottrell@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:20:34 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, David Carlisle wrote:

 Good thought -- and actually the document builds OK with utf-8
 specified.  The only problem is that section titles with 8-bit
 characters are broken when viewed on Windows :-(

I'm surprised if that wasn't fixable by setting up something on your
windows box...

But I can't fix things on users Windows boxes (I'm distributing a help file for the Windows port of my app).

I have settled on this bodge for the moment:

1. Run saxon with htmlhelp.encoding set to UTF-8
2. recode utf8..windows-1252 < toc.hhc > toc.win && \
   mv toc.win toc.hhc

(I don't really understand why saxon can't output windows-1252, but
java is a mystery to me.)

Allin Cottrell