RE: [xsl] problem matching attribute

Subject: RE: [xsl] problem matching attribute
From: "Evan Lenz" <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:10:34 -0800
Hi Ann Marie,

The problem is that your template rule does not copy the <user> element. It
only tries to add an attribute. I suspect that the XSLT processor is falling
back from an error. It's an error to try to add an attribute to an element
after any child nodes have been added. (In this case, the whitespace-only
text node before each <user> element has been added.) If you first stripped
the whitespace from the source tree, you'd find that the "name" attribute
would get added to the <security-role-mapping> element instead.

You could fix your template rule by wrapping <xsl:copy> around
<xsl:attribute>. But a better, more flexible approach would be to match the
attribute node itself rather than the <user> element:

<xsl:template match="user/@name">
  <xsl:attribute name="{@name}">foo</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:template>

I'm of course assuming that you have the identity transformation template
rule in your stylesheet which looks like this:

<xsl:template match="@*|node()">
  <xsl:copy>
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>