Re: [xsl] xinclude, temp trees, and keys

Subject: Re: [xsl] xinclude, temp trees, and keys
From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 08:24:46 -0500
On Nov 20, 2004, at 2:57 PM, Michael Kay wrote:

As I thought about this more, then, it's starting to seem like I need
another pass:

1)   xinclude content
2)  resolve citation references and include them
3)  work with temporary tree enhancing data where necessary
4)  pass off to main stylesheets for final rendering

Does that seem right?

You don't absolutely need to build a composite tree, but I suspect it will
make your life easier.

Let me ask another conceptual question:

In my current approach, I use multiple passes, ending up with a temporary tree that "looks" pretty much like any standalone document. So I end up copying a lot of the (non-citation-related) content from temporary tree to temporary tree.

This works and makes sense in the context of DocBook, where the results of the transformation end up in an external file.

My question is, how I should I think about extending this to work in the context of a GUI app like OpenOffice (or even Word, with WordML), where a before citation would look something like:

<citation>
  <citation-source>
     <biblioref citekey="doe99"/>
  </citation-source>
</citation>

.... and an after one like:

<citation>
  <citation-source>
     <biblioref citekey="doe99"/>
  </citation-source>
  <citation-body>
     (Doe, 1999b)
  </citation-body>
</citation>

In other words, conceptually what I need to do is insert the rendered citations and bibliographies into the document. Should I take a different approach to best handle this?

I could imagine processing the citations separately and not really touching the document per so, but I really don't a) if this is a good idea, or b) if it is, *how* to do this. For example, if I have a temporary tree (or even external file) with the rendered content, how does it get linked to the citations in the document per se?

BTW, I think there's still room to modify OpenOffice to best enable this sort of processing. The file stuff above is still to be added, along with support in the suite to properly display is and allow interaction with external tools (like XSLT processors).

Bruce