Re: [xsl] XML Data Islands, XML Menu Trees and other stuff

Subject: Re: [xsl] XML Data Islands, XML Menu Trees and other stuff
From: Shawn <sgrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 07:25:23 -0700
Take a look at http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/ with regards to the menu
(see the Pure CSS Menus link).  The menu allows popup menus (for browsers
with CSS2 support), with CSS only - no javascript or image swapping.  It even
degrades in a decent manner for browsers that don't have full CSS2 support
(like IE).  Be sure to check out the other topics on his site - he's done
some really amazing stuff with CSS.

I've recently had to put together a proof of concept on this, using XML/XSL to
create the menu items.  Once you work through the coding, it's actually damn
easy (probably easier for those who are much more familiar with XSL than I
am).

I can't help you too much with regards to data islands.  However, in the past
I have used WDDX and JavaScript to manipulate data on the fly client-side,
refresh the page with said data (without a trip to the server), then
eventually submit the data back to the server for processing.  It wasn't that
tough.  I've seen articles online on how to parse/build XML via JavaScript,
so that should be just as easy.  (For any who don't know, WDDX is an XML
format for passing complex structures, developed by Allaire/Macromedia.  It's
useful, but I think support for it is slowly fading in favor of SOAP.)

HTH

Shawn