Re: [xsl] Preseving character entities

Subject: Re: [xsl] Preseving character entities
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:43:44 GMT
> > The file
> > encoding (ascii, utf8, whatever, .. is of course unrelated to the
> > question of whether you use entity references or chartacter references.
> >
> > David
>
> You mean named or numeric character references.

no I meant (but couldn't spell) entity references or character
references. The xml spec doesn't define anything called a named
character reference.

> The encoding is only related in the way it
> influences the outputting of character references..

Yes I nearly mentioned that but that's a property of the encoding
attribute of xsl:output rather than a property of the encoding of the
file. ie I was commenting on

>  I would prefer UTF-8 or 'us-ascii' coded files.

as that is misleading, the files are probably encoded in utf8 or ascii
or whatever else you specify irrespective of whether character maps are
used.

David

http://www.star.net.uk