Re: [xsl] xsl:value-of, xsl:copy, xsl:copy-of

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:value-of, xsl:copy, xsl:copy-of
From: Marian Olteanu <mou_softwin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:08:45 -0800 (PST)
--- John <john-xsl-list@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone provide a quick line or two that defines and differentiates xsl:value-of, xsl:copy
> and xsl:copy-of?  I understand some of the differences and can get more info from books and
> online, but in putting some training materials together I want to make sure I understand this
> fully and get it as concise and correct as possible.
>
> TIA,
>
>    -John
<xsl:value-of select="expression"/> - evaluates the string-value of the expression and put it in
the output.

<xsl:copy>...</xsl:copy> generates an element having the same name with the current element.
It is (neglecting namespace stuff) 100% equivalent with <xsl:element
name="name()">...</xsl:element>

<xsl:copy-of select="expression"/> - copies the nodes in the expression (one or many nodes) into
the output stream, with all their content (attributes, children, etc).

=====
Marian
http://www.utdallas.edu/~mgo031000/