RE: [xsl] Conflicting templates?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Conflicting templates?
From: "Robert Soesemann" <rsoesemann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:04:39 +0100
That works. Thanks a lot.

-----Original Message-----
From: David Carlisle [mailto:davidc@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Freitag, 17. Dezember 2004 12:43
To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  It seems that there is a conflict between the two templates in the
  following xsl.

If you have two templates that both match the same thing it's often best
to add an explict priority attribute so that you can see which one wins
without remembering the defaults.

<xsl:template match="/*">

<xsl:template match="node()[starts-with(name(),'my-')">

both of those would match a top level element called my-foo
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#dt-default-priority

neither pattern is of a form that is given a special priority so they
both have the default priority of 0.5

this is actually an error and the processor could just stop, but if it
does carry on it has to choose the last template in the stylesheet.

so.. add priority="1001" to <xsl:template match="/*">

Your second template could be simplified quite a bit I think, to
something like

<xsl:template match="*[starts-with(name(),'my-')">
<xsl:element
name="{concat(@name|self::*[not(@name)]/@type,name(self::*[not(@name|@ty
pe)]))}">
	<xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
	<xsl:apply-templates />
</xsl:element>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

modulo some difference in behaviour on empty attributes such as name="".

David