Re: [xsl] end-of-sentence full stop in XSL:FO?

Subject: Re: [xsl] end-of-sentence full stop in XSL:FO?
From: Torsten Bronger <bronger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:13:21 +0100
HallC6chen!

JBryant@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Here's a link that deals with the issue. It gives a decent set of
> cases for programmatically identifying whether a period ends a
> sentence.
>
> http://bulba.sdsu.edu/~malouf/ling571/17handout.pdf

This is an interesting text; however, I need a markup solution.
The three best alternatives so far:

* Treat every dot as an end-of-sentence unless it is immediately
  followed by an <neos/> ("not end-of-sentence").

* Mark abbreviation dots, if followed by whitespace, with an
  immediately following &#x200b; (zero width space).  [It would be
  prettier to mark end-of-sentence dots this way, but this would be
  much more invasive.]

* Mark abbreviations with <abbrev>e.g.</abbrev>.  The cleanest
  solution, but in my special case *much* more difficult to
  implement than the other two, because I have an input stream to
  convert to XML, and when I see the dot it's already to late for
  inserting a tag.

TschC6,
Torsten.